Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Hello from Guayaquil! I find it hard to believe I last posted more than two weeks ago. It's already the middle of August? No, I don't believe you. 

This won't be a particularly interesting post. I just wanted to let you all know that I'm alive and safe and busy in the concrete jungle. I'm adjusting to city life. Riding a lot of buses, getting lost on said buses, and falling asleep to car alarms and to the voices of street vendors. I'm adjusting a little more slowly to the coastal climate. I smell perpetually of sunscreen and sweat, and I daily contemplate chopping off all of my hair. Unexpected bonus? I don't miss hot showers. Not one bit. I'm sure before long I'll be carrying an umbrella like a parasol, especially since it's not even the "hot" season yet. If you're planning a visit, I recommend against Nov-Feb. Or, if you come, I'm going to use it as an excuse for a vacation to the mountains!

Not everything is an adjustment here in Guayaquil though. Some things instantly won my heart. Things like coconut flavored ice cream. Coconut flavored anything, really. Shrimp ceviche. Getting a seat on the bus. Gentle breezes. Free tickets to the Guayaquil Symphony Orchestra. Fresh fruit smoothies for a dollar. My host family.

 In every way, I hit the host family jackpot. They are gems of human beings, and I'm so thankful that they are going to be a part of my life. Erika, my older host sister, took me on a road trip with one of her friends up the coast last weekend. Even after only a week in Guayaquil, it was so nice to get out of the city to less populated areas. We wound up at Los Frailes, an absolutely beautiful beach. Best part? It's part of a protected national park, and only 100 cars can enter at a time.


Thanks for letting me use your photo, Amanda DePoy!

As for Juconi, I'm settling in there as well. While we're still working out my specific caseload, I've been introduced to many of the families with whom I'll be working. The purpose of my visits for now is to get the families accustomed to my presence in their homes. So I play a lot of jenga and pick-up sticks with the kids, drink many many glasses of coca-cola, and do my best to follow conversations spoken in rapid coastal spanish. All in my special Juconi vest and baseball hat, of course.

So there's a taste of my life here in Guayaquil so far. Thanks for your thoughts and emails these past weeks as I was moving and beginning life here. And to all of you whom I owe emails and skype dates, thank you for your patience. They'll be coming this week! 

Buenas noches! 

2 comments:

  1. Happy to hear you are safe and seem to be having a great time! Awesome that you've been blessed by great host families and only a few months in. Want to see pics of the Juconi vest and baseball cap on you too haha.

    --Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your happy home visits sound so wonderful. I miss you. Email coming.

    ReplyDelete