Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Yes Woman.

"Never turn down an invitation." As trainees, that's the advice we're given as to how to integrate into our new host families, and, in three months, into our communities. Before leaving for Ecuador, I caught wind of this Peace Corps mantra, and, as many of you know, it stressed me out. When I'm out of my comfort zone, and, let's be honest, even when I'm in my comfort zone, there's not much that sounds better than curling up in bed with a good book and jar of peanut butter. This introvert loves her alone time and likes to be adventurous on her own terms. 

Turns out though, that I don't always know what's best for myself. Imagine that. The times when I've felt most comfortable, most connected, most thankful to be here, are the times when I have said yes to something I'd normally try to get out of either from disinterest or discomfort. Things like walking with my host aunt at 6:30 am on Saturday morning. Like seeing "Rapidos y Furiosos 6" (The Fast & The Furious 6) in theaters with ten family members. (Apparently The Rock is a thing here...) Like visiting the graves of my host dad and grandfather on two separate occasions. 

I haven't gotten to the point where my first instinct is to respond to uncomfortable or unwanted invitations with an enthusiastic yes. I'm not sure I'll ever get there. But I am slowly learning to have a looser grasp on what I perceive to be "my time," and, as obvious as it sounds, that meaningful relationships require the act of simply being present. 

On a completely unrelated note, I spent Saturday at the equator, "La Mitad del Mundo!" I went with five other fellow volunteers and one of their host fathers. It was a good day of learning the bus system, seeing a bit more of Ecuador, and, of course, hanging out on the equator. =)





                 



It was super windy but look at those mountains! 

1 comment:

  1. ahh tan orgullosa de ti amiga! :) seguramente vale la pena ponerse en situaciones medio incomodas asi. no todas las ofertas son como la de Chapare, no ve? jajaja thank god!

    ReplyDelete